Sri Lanka Explorer
Discover Sri Lanka’s most popular attractions as you explore the Cultural Triangle, with remarkable Buddhist cities and caves, lush hill country and historic Galle Fort.
- 9 Nights hotel accommodation
- Daily breakfast
- 01 Jeep safari
- Transport in an air-conditioned vehicle
- Exclusive touring
- Entrance fees (camera fees not included)
- Local English-speaking guide/driver
- Return airport transfers
DAY 1 ARRIVAL TRANSFER TO NEGOMBO HOTEL
- Welcome to Sri Lanka!
- Our airport representative will meet, assist and introduce you to your chauffeur guide for your tour of Sri Lanka
- Sit back, relax and enjoy the short drive from the airport to Negombo
- Remainder of the evening at leisure
DAY 2 NEGOMBO TO SIGIRIYA VIA DAMBULLA
- After breakfast leave for Dambulla and en route visit the Dambulla rock cave temples. The temples consist of 5 ornately-decorated caves which have been converted to shrines. During an invasion from South India in the 1st century BC, the Sinhalese king Walagambahu took refuge in the caves at Dambulla and through meditation gained the strength to drive the invaders away. As a token of gratitude he declared the caves as a sacred area and built the first cave shrine, since then 4 more caves were converted into shrines and the Rock cave temples of Dambulla is today an important pilgrimage site for Buddhists from around the world. Please note the walk up is via several hundred steps and a hat and sunscreen should be worn and water carried.
- Afterwards proceed to Sigiriya
- Check in to your hotel.
DAY 3 VISIT SIGIRIYA ROCK FORTRESS
- After breakfast proceed to Sigiriya rock fortress, the 5th century AD rock fortress of King Kasyapa. The view of the surrounding countryside from the summit of the rock is spectacular. Your guide will tell you about the many legends surrounding King Kasyapa and his palace in the sky. Please note there is a steep climb to the summit which is suitable for those with good fitness and mobility. Others may go part way or admire the rock from below. You can discuss this with your guide.
- Afterwards return to your hotel
- Spend the afternoon at leisure
DAY 4 VISIT POLONNARUWA AND A GAME DRIVE IN MINNERIYA NATIONAL PARK
- After breakfast leave for the ancient city of Polonnaruwa.
- Sightseeing in Polonnaruwa will include the statue of the great Sinhalese King Parakramabahu. The ancient ruins including the area known as the Quadrangle, the Thuparama image house, the Gal Vihara – the fine detailed granite sculptures of the Lord Buddha, the Lankathilaka, and the 12th century lotus bath just to name a few.
- After lunch head to Minneriya national park
- Commence an afternoon safari drive in the Minneriya National Park. 24 species of mammal are to be found in the park, the most important being the elephant of which there are 150-200. Other species present include the sambar, spotted deer, leopard (elusive), sloth bear, toque monkey and purple-faced leaf monkey. Some 160 species of bird have been recorded in the park, including endemics such as the Sri Lanka jungle fowl, hanging parrot, brown-capped babbler, crimson-fronted barbet and black-crested bulbul. You may also spot reptiles such as the water monitor and swamp crocodile.
- Return to your hotel late afternoon.
DAY 5 SIGIRIYA TO KANDY
- After breakfast leave for Kandy, the central hill side of Sri Lanka and the last capital of the ancient King’s era
- En-route visit a fascinating spice garden and a batik factory.
- On arrival in Kandy, check in to your hotel.
- Later in the evening drummers, dancers & fire walkers will entertain you at a cultural show, after which you can visit the famous Dalada Maligawa – the revered Temple of the tooth relic.
- Later return to your hotel for your overnight stay.
DAY 6 KANDY AND PERADENIYA BOTANICAL GARDEN
- After breakfast commence a city tour of Kandy visiting the colorful and busy market place, the upper lake drive, gem museum, and the arts & crafts center.
- Continue on to the Peradeniya botanical gardens. These world famous tropical gardens were pleasure gardens to Sinhalese royalty before the British period. All plants and trees are marked with their botanical names, and the Orchid house has one of the world’s largest collections.
- Return to your hotel for your overnight stay.
DAY 7 KANDY TO NUWARA ELIYA
- After breakfast depart for Nuwara Eliya via scenic upland roads.
- En-route a visit to a high grown tea plantation and factory and learn about the tea-making process.
- After lunch continue to Nuwara Eliya for a short sightseeing trip around the town which will include the areas around the race course, golf course, Central Park and Lake Gregory.
- The evening is at leisure.
DAY 8 NUWARA ELIYA TO GALLE
- After breakfast depart Nuwara Eliya for Galle, descending through the hills to Sri Lanka’s magnificent south coast.
- On arrival the rest of the afternoon is at leisure.
DAY 9 GALLE
- After breakfast proceed to the port town of Galle. The town was founded by the Portuguese in 16th century. In 1598, the Portuguese built a small fort which was later extended. However, when the Dutch took over in 1640, they destroyed all traces of the Portuguese presence. In 1663, the Dutch built the 36-hectare Fort, which is now a World Heritage Site. Galle is the best example of a fortified city built by Europeans in South and South-East Asia, showing the interaction between European architectural styles and South Asian traditions. It retains a fantastic sense of history and this combined with its magnificent location on the Arabian Sea make it a special experience for all visitors.
- Enjoy free time in the afternoon, perhaps further exploring the fort or relaxing at your hotel.
DAY 10 DEPART SRI LANKA
- This morning, transfer to Colombo and onwards to the international airport for your departure flight.
1 Contact a destination specialist
Whether you wish to plan your trip around this itinerary idea or you have other ideas, please do get in touch by phone or online. If using our online form, a destination specialist will contact you by phone to discuss your requirements.
2 Discuss your requirements
Our destination specialists have the first hand knowledge required to put your plans into action. They can answer your questions, offer suggestions and advice to suit your tastes and budget.
3 Refine your tailor-made itinerary
Your specialist will carefully design your trip, creating a detailed itinerary which you will receive in the post and online. Your specialist will answer any further questions you have and refine it until you are completely happy.
Once you are satisfied with all the arrangements, we ask you to pay the cost of your trip.
5 Staying in touch
Even after booking, you’ll undoubtedly think of more questions. Feel free to call your specialist at any time. The same specialist will handle your trip from start to finish.